Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Memento

Progress and Final Product of the Memento project

The "hockey puck" of Super Glaze epoxy molded in a
peanut butter lid, prior to sanding its rim to get rid of the grooves
A tentative digital model of the piece's basic form
An early version of the paper portion of the sculpture,
displaying a montage of the artwork that I associate with my memory

The paper cutout of a human figure (representing myself)
 laying on the center of the resin "hockey puck"
The base, figure cutout, and paper element of the "complete" sculpture, seen from below
The paper element, being a crumpled printout of the collage with a coffin-shaped hole

Artist's Statement: This piece serves as a representation of my memory, and of my feelings in the wake of it.  While working on a project for my drawing course, I was listening to a playlist of songs, which included "Skulls" by Bastille. Despite all of my musings on and exposure to death beforehand, it was this song which finally brought on my existential crisis about my mortality, and the subsequent feelings of hollowness, simultaneous claustrophobia and perception of overwhelming vastness, dread, and futility.  To represent these sensation, I depicted a tiny figure being forced to see and acknowledge the coffin-shaped hole hovering oppressively above. The paper surrounding the hole depicts a montage of the project that I was doing at the time, and its color and form communicate the overwhelming infinity of everything which is not the self, The clear base serves to give the viewer the perspective of the tiny figure. Fitting with the title of the project, this piece acts as a Memento Mori. 

No comments:

Post a Comment