Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Drawing on Objects

The idea for this project was inspired by the globe panorama paintings I had done in years previous as well as by digital works I was working on at the time.  This time I decided to invert it, creating a concave hemisphere that would depict one half of an equirectangular panorama. 
Initially I wanted to create another prehistoric scene, but with time constraints and uncertainty as to what I wanted to represent, it ended up being an empty seascape.
The intended effect of this mode of drawing was how immersive it would be, that by holding it close enough to your face and turning it, one could simulate looking around in a landscape from a fixed position within it.  Being a hemisphere, the panorama contains the zenith of the sky, the nadir of the ground, and 180 degrees of horizon.  I believe that in order to be truly immersive, it would have to be painted on a somewhat larger scale, and feature certain landmarks that could inform distance and direction.

Gesso and acrylic paint on 10" Styrofoam dome


No comments:

Post a Comment